Town of Vulcan on Twitter Town of Vulcan on Facebook Email Town of Vulcan

Business Info


The Land Use By-law is a key tool used to regulate and control the use and development of all land and buildings in the Town of Vulcan. It governs the development permit approval process and all land use designation.

A Development Permit is required for most new construction and changes of land use. A development permit ensures that new development in the Town of Vulcan is well-suited to the surrounding area and meets the requirements of the Town's Land Use By-Law.

Most construction, signs and business licensing require a development permit.
When applying for a development permit, you will be required to complete a development permit application form. Your application will be reviewed. If a proposed use is listed as discretionary within the applicable land use district or a waiver beyond 10 per cent required, the application will be forwarded to the MPC (Municipal Planning Commission) for consideration.

Please note: If you are applying for a Development Permit that requires Municipal Planning Commission approval, the completed application form and required documentation must be received by the Development Officer two weeks prior to the MPC meeting. MPC meetings are held in Council Chambers the third Tuesday of each month.


Applications for building permits are acquired at the Town Office.

Once a completed building permit application is submitted to the Town Office, the application is forwarded to Superior Safety Codes for final approval and issuance. Inspections are carried out by Superior Safety Codes.

Gas, plumbing & electrical permits are issued out of the Town Office with Superior Safety Codes contracted by the Town of Vulcan for doing the appropriate inspections.